The Quiet Before The Storm
Personally I believe that very little is going to transpire here before Monday morning. I’m sure you are aware that the Greek are holding a referendum on Sunday the 5th [good write up here] which is I expect will throw markets into a turmoil – no matter which way the pendulum swings. Expect a ton of volatility and most definitely expect stop runs galore right after the Sunday open (which is night time here in Europe and preliminary projections will be coming in).
All of that means I’m pretty much shutting down the liar starting tomorrow morning – and I won’t be taking on any new setups in the interim as we’re now heading into low participation territory. I’ve got two charts of note though:
First up bonds – here’s the 30-year futures contract. As you can see it keeps failing at the 25-day SMA and is now heading down for a revisit of the recent lows. The weekly panel on the right however toggled my interest – the 147 mark near the 100-week SMA has survived a few times but the Grexit vote this Sunday could be the catalyst that finally breaks that camel’s back. Nothing but air below – this could get ugly quickly.
Honestly I completely hate what’s going on right now. I would love to be long here but the continuous Greek roller coaster is producing so much uncertainty that taking directional positions has been extremely difficult as of late. And being short here today ahead of Sunday is simply not an option as we may find ourselves facing the gap from hell Sunday night.
My long positions on the E-Mini survived that little dip lower yesterday by a mere tick. Sometimes you get lucky and sometimes they’ll get ya. Not that it’ll do my much good though as today was supposed to be the session which drives this puppy higher. I have already closed them out for a meager 1R profit. As I quipped a few weeks ago – I don’t remember working so hard for so little coin for quite some time now.
As you can see we’ve produced an inverse island down here and unless that NLBL at 2071 gives before the close we’ll most likely remain stuck down here until Sunday night. And that means very little buffer to the downside – extremely serious conditions. But frankly speaking it’s all academic as the odds for a huge move down or up are significant. Thus I caution all of you from holding any equity positions over the weekend.
Words To The Wise
With all the gapping action and general uncertainty I wouldn’t want to wager on where we’re heading next. Holiday weeks are tough sailing to begin – without EU members falling by the wayside. Plenty of opportunity for monkey business and you know someone will get the results early (hint – it won’t be you or I). FWIW – I hope the Greeks decide to rip off the band-aid and leave the EC. It’s been nothing but drama since they joined up and I’m convinced both sides will be better off over the long term. I believe some type of separation over the long term it’s inevitable. Under the current conditions Greece is simply unable to function as a member of the European Currency Union.
Alright, if I see anything interesting I’ll make sure to post a quick update tomorrow morning. In the interim keep it frosty and don’t take on any positions that would cost you any sleep over the long weekend. It’s summer – go out and roast a hotdog or something. Get a tan. Pet your dog. Talk to your wife if you have to. The markets still will be there on Monday – hopefully in one piece 😉
It’s not too late – learn how to consistently bank coin without news, drama, and all the misinformation. If you are interested in becoming a subscriber then don’t waste time and sign up here. The Zero indicator service also offers access to all Gold posts, so you actually get double the bang for your buck.